Monday 7 October 2013

Funeral of Reg Schultz [Psalm 23] (7-Oct-2013)

This was preached at a gathering of the St Paul's Lutheran Church, Darnum (1.30pm) at the St Peter's Anglican Church, Leongatha.

Grace, mercy and peace be to you from God our Father, and from our Lord Jesus Christ.

Text: (Psalm 23:4)
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me.

Prayer: May the words of my mouth and the meditations of our hearts be acceptable to you, O Lord, our Rock and our Redeemer. Amen.
 

At the end of the book of Genesis, there is a passage where the old man Jacob is about to die and he blesses his children and grandchildren. And he says: God has been my shepherd all my life long to this day.

As we come to bury Reg today and to give thanks to God for his life, we also want to say: God has been his shepherd all his life long to this day. Yes—even to this day, not simply up until the day when he died just over a week ago, but also still today and forever. And that’s at the heart of the Christian faith: that God will be our shepherd all our life long right up until the day when we will stop counting the days. Jesus says: I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die.

And so, I’ve chosen for our funeral text today from Psalm 23. The Lord is my shepherd. I shall not want. We’ve already prayed this psalm together and it’s so well-known to so many people, even people outside the church. So let’s pray to the Holy Spirit that he may come and strengthen us and comfort us with the holy word of God at this time of our sadness and grief at the loss of our father, our grandfather, our good friend, our fellow Christian, Reg Schultz.

The Lord is my shepherd. I shall not want. Who’s the Lord here? Who’s the shepherd? And who’s the sheep? The shepherd is Jesus Christ, the man who was born of the Virgin Mary and who is also true God. St Paul says: No-one can say Jesus is Lord except by the Holy Spirit. He is our Lord, and his sheep, his flock, are the ones who cry out to him: The Lord is my shepherd. But the flock calls out to the shepherd with one voice. We say: he is my shepherd, not our shepherd. It’s almost as if every sheep were the only sheep, and God treats all the sheep together as if they were one.

And how does Jesus come to us to be our shepherd? He speaks his word to us. Jesus says: My sheep hear my voice. He calls each sheep by name, and knows each one. But shepherds don’t spend time talking to sheep all the time, but they call out to them especially when they are in danger or in need. And if they talk to them when they are not in danger, it’s so that the sheep will recognise the shepherd’s voice when they are in danger.

You see, with Reg, he became one of Jesus’ sheep when he was baptised. He was washed with water, but also at that occasion, Jesus spoke his words to Reg: I baptise you in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Jesus didn’t baptise Reg in silence. He spoke his words, and as Reg went through life, he could trust in that word, and learn continually to hear his shepherd’s voice.

The most wonderful thing about Jesus’ words is that they are always new, and always teach something new. They always create something out of nothing. And so it’s such a wonderful gift when someone dies to come and hear Good Shepherd’s voice, the voice of Jesus. Because if want to be comforted by Jesus, we always have to learn it as if we had never heard it before. The comfort doesn’t already exist in our hearts somewhere buried in the grief. The comfort needs to be created by Jesus’ living voice. In the gospels, Simon Peter once said to Jesus: You are the Christ, the Son of the living God. And Jesus said to him: Blessed are you, Simon, Son of Jonah. For flesh and blood have not revealed this to you, but my Father in heaven.

So also at a funeral. It is our Father in heaven who comforts us through our Good Shepherd Jesus. Jesus teaches us his own Christian comfort. Flesh and blood might teach us a few things that make us feel better, like “he’s gone to a better place”, or “he’ll live on in our memories”, but Jesus teaches us something that we could only learn from him. Jesus says: In my Father’s house are many rooms, and I am going to prepare a place for you. If it were not so, would I have told you? Everyone who believes in me will never die. This child is not dead but sleeping. Lazarus is dead, and I will go and wake him up. I am the resurrection and the life. Today you will be with me in Paradise. Behold, I tell you a mystery. We shall not all sleep, but we shall be changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we shall be changed.

Where else can we learn any of those things except from the mouth of Jesus himself? That’s why even today at this funeral we come to gather not just around Reg, but around Reg’s shepherd, to hear the living voice of Jesus. The Good Shepherd laid down his life for the sheep, and has destroyed death for the sheep. Jesus died, but he is not here today in a coffin—but he has risen to life, and keeps all those in the coffins safe with him. The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.                                                                  

He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters. This shepherd gives me food to eat and water to drink. Once again, these words of Jesus are food for us. Jesus says: Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word from the mouth of God. And also, Jesus gave to Reg so many times this food to eat, and this water to drink. It wasn’t Reg’s work: it was Jesus’ work. And also, so many times Jesus gave to Reg his body to eat and his blood to drink in the Lord’s Supper. What wonderful food this is!

He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake. Once there was funeral in Judea which Jesus went to, where a young man was carried out in a coffin. Jesus touched the coffin and said: Young man, I say to you, arise. And he restored this soul of the young man, and gave him back to his mother. So also, Jesus restores Reg’s soul and keeps it safe. He will also keep watch over his body and resting place. And Jesus also restores our souls and says to us: Blessed are those who mourn for they will be comforted. Also, we read: He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake. Often at a funeral, people like to say that the person who has died was a good person, and then all the focus in on them. There’s always a kind of embarrassment about this too, because everyone knows that the person wasn’t perfect! Of course, there are so many good things that we’ve received from Reg. But Jesus doesn’t save Reg because of all those good things. He doesn’t lead him in paths of righteousness for Reg’s sake, but for his name’s sake. Jesus wants to show you that he is a good shepherd. He wants to live up to his name. He leads Reg in paths of righteousness completely freely, without any contribution from Reg, simply because he loved him, because he wouldn’t let one sheep be snatched out of his hands.

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me. Here in the middle of the psalm is the heart and centre of it. If we were to try and work things out by our own reason, and by our own thinking, without the words of Jesus, we would probably think that Jesus is only with us in those times when things are going well for us. We would probably think that when things are going bad, that this is a sure sign that Jesus has buzzed off somewhere, and has dumped us in a ditch.

This isn’t true: Our whole life is surrounded with troubles, and problems. Friends we know and love die.

But it says: Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me. He’s still with me. He hasn’t left. Jesus doesn’t just attend weddings and baptisms, and all the happy occasions. He attends funerals too. He attends hospital beds too. He attends nursing homes. He attends deathbeds. He attends gravesides. He attends sad hearts, lonely hearts, hearts that walk through the valley of the shadow of death. I will fear no evil, for you are with me. We don’t recognise Jesus’ presence only when he gives us some gift of joy or pleasure or strength. But Jesus is with us even when we feel nothing—even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death.

Your rod and your staff, they comfort me. The rod and the staff are there to bring the sheep closer in, to hook around their neck and draw them in. Sometimes they might be given a little tap on the rear end to keep them in line!

Now let’s listen to the last part of our psalm.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

All of sudden the picture changes: One minute we were talking about sheepy kind of things, pastures, streams, rods and staffs.  Now the scene changes: All of a sudden the sheep almost changes from being a sheep into a kind of prince or princess enjoying a wonderful banquet. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Now the little sheep’s enjoying a great banquet, and good wine. And it’s a kind of good wine that overflows from the cup. It’s a kind of wine that when you drink it, you forget the sad things from before! It’s a good vintage, worth the whole bottle. This is wine is eternal life, the joy of the Holy Spirit!

St Paul says: I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us. We come to remember Reg today, but we also need to remember that Reg’s life isn’t finished. The green pastures and the water, and the valley of the shadow of death have now given way, to a table prepared, anointing with oil, and an overflowing cup! The book of Revelation says: Blessed are those who are invited to the marriage supper [the wedding banquet] of the Lamb! This is the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world.

So as we join together to give thanks for Reg’s life, let’s comfort and strengthen ourselves with the wonderful promise right at the end of the psalm. Let’s give thanks to God for the way these words are fulfilled in Reg not just in this life, but in eternal life. Surely goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

Blessed are those who mourn for they will be comforted.
Amen.

Lord Jesus Christ, strengthen and comfort us with your precious voice, your holy words. Teach us your comfort and come and stay with us and remain with us in our time of mourning. Be with us, even though we walk through the valley of the shadow of death. Strengthen us in your promise: Surely goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Bless us, dear Jesus, Good Shepherd, and let nothing snatch us out of your hands. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment